Protect Yourself from Employment Practice Lawsuits
Employee lawsuits are more than just an inconvenience. They are expensive, distractive for your management team and can quickly erode productivity and employee morale. Oddly enough, you are more likely to be sued by an employee these days than to have a fire at your facility. The financial damage of employee lawsuits can be dramatic. According to industry experts, unpaid internships, illegal background checks and issues related to pregnancy and health are the top trending employment practices litigation cases.
Employment practices liability insurance, commonly referred to as EPLI insurance, is specifically designed to protect employers from the financial hardships of lawsuits brought on by employees. This protection will easily pay for itself if you are sued even once.
EPLI provides compensation for losses caused by employee lawsuits, including court costs and legal fees. Here is just a sampling of ways you are protected with an EPLI policy:
- Wrongful termination: includes suits brought on the basis of termination due to age, race, gender or disability
- Harassment: includes sexual harassment, violence, bullying and issues based on race, color, age and religion
- Discrimination: including suits from employees who are turned down for employment or denied promotion
- Breach of contract: violation of the terms of an employee’s contract
- Emotional distress: applies if an employee feels that your business is a hostile environment or overly stressful
- Other violations: including violations of statutes, workers compensation denial, false positives from drug tests, libel and slander, etc.
Contact the experts at Cobb-Hall insurance for solutions specifically designed to fit your needs.
Excerpts from: Trusted Choice Independent Insurance Agents copyright 2017